Clean Eating Pumpkin Ravioli AND Italian Ravioli!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013


Welp I'm finally joining the choir of white girls that sings pumpkin's praises from the mountaintops from September to November. Somehow in these 20-some years I have just never gotten into the whole "all pumpkin everything start pinning recipes in July!!!" thing- until now. Until now, when I was experimenting with Italian-y clean stuffed ravioli, ran out of ingredients, so reached for the can of pumpkin (honestly it's probably been in the pantry for a few years..) and thought hmm let's try something.

I love love love the pumpkin raviolis (perhaps because they were so so easy to make?), the BF hated them but loved the Italian-y raviolis, which I hated. Aren't we just a match made in heaven huh?

CLEAN PUMPKIN RAVIOLIS:
Servings: 6 raviolis
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins

Ingredients
  • 2 medium sized zucchinis, sliced REAL thin- I use this NoPro Slicer from Amazon for $15  ($2.00)
  • 1 cup of pumpkin (I used canned pumpkin- $1.50 for the can)
  • 1/2 cup Feta Cheese ($2.50)
  • 1-2 teaspoons Parsley- fresh or dry 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the pumpkin, feta, parsley and cumin. Take 2 slices of zucchini and place one on top of the other in a cross shape (see the pix at the bottom) on a baking sheet. If they seem too stiff to fold, throw them in the microwave for about 45 seconds and they'll be nice and pliable.

Scoop a spoonful of pumpkin mix onto the  center of the cross (where the 2 slices intersect- see pix below). Fold the zucchini up so all the ends overlap in the middle and flip over (so they don't come unfolded in the oven). Repeat for the others.

Throw your raviolis into the oven for 20 minutes. Top with a little tomato sauce and ENJOY!


Italian Stuffed Raviolis (I didn't love them as much so they don't get caps lock title SORRY):
Servings: 6 raviolis
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sized zucchinis, sliced REAL thin- I use this NoPro Slicer from Amazon for $15  ($2.00)
  • 3 pieces of clean eating chicken sausage ($3.50)- when you're shopping for these check the natural foods aisle of the grocery store and remember the golden rule: No more than 3 ingredients
  • 1 cup butternut squash, cubed ($3.00- I bought mine pre-cubed) 
  • 2 cups spinach ($1.50)
  • 1/2 medium white onion, diced ($.50)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
Put the onion and garlic in a medium frying pan and heat over medium until the onion is translucent. Now add the sausage and butternut squash and cook about 10 minutes. Add the spinach and mix everything together (still over medium heat) until the spinach is wilted (like 2 minutes, spinach is like me- fades fast).

Throw all this into a food processor or blender (This Osterizer 10 speed has lasted me a solid 2 years) and pulse until it your mixture is pureed. This got a little difficult with the blender, but it worked out.

Follow the same directions above to assemble and cook the raviolis!

Having a party? I suggest serving them with toothpicks (below) with tomato sauce on the side for dipping. My friends who tried these raviolis thought I must have worked so hard to make these (LOL!) so I imagine they'd be a party hit.

Party fooood!

The pumpkin concoction. Looks funky, tastes amazing
And how pretty is the Italian stuffing cooking?
I doubled up because my zuc slices were so thin. Worked either way.

Spoon the stuffing onto the intersection. And stop judging my raggedy baking sheet

I've never been good with origami. If I can do it, you can do it.

Flipped and ready!

Goin in!



Topped with some sugar free tomato sauce. Mmmm mmmm.

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!