Clean {Faux Fried} Chicken Fingers

Tuesday, October 15, 2013



When I visited my brother in Memphis I cheated on clean eating a little bit with soul food. Ok, I cheated a lot. We ate a LOT of soul food, and man did it make me miss all southern cuisine. Enter: Dijon Mustard and Stone Ground Corn Meal for the win! These crispy baked chicken tenders were so delicious. I made a southern faux-fried chicken salad, the BF dipped his in BBQ sauce. They were awesome.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins

Ingredients

  • 1.5 lbs turkey breast, sliced into the size you want your tenders (I wanted mine to look like real chicken tenders so I sliced them long and thin) ($4.50)
  • 1/2 bottle Dijon Mustard with no sugar added ($1.00)
  • 1 Cup Stone Ground Corn Meal
  • 1 tsp ceyenne pepper
  • 1 tsp pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set out 2 bowls. Put the Dijon Mustard into one bowl, and combine the corn meal with pepper and ceyenne pepper into the other bowl. Dip a strip of chicken into the mustard until it is covered in mustard. Then set the mustard covered chicken into the corn meal and roll it around until it is completely coated with cornmeal. Place it onto the baking sheet. Repeat this with all your chicken finger. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the center of the chicken fingers are completely white (no pink!).

The assembly line

I chopped up my chicken and put it with arugula, chopped onions and diced tomatoes. Yuuummm. 



2 comments :

  1. I'm in love with chicken nuggets and strips... especially if they are fried :( This will be a great healthy alternative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I love love fried chicken too. This is try #1 in finding clean eating healthy not-quite-fried chicken. Not quite as good as the real thing but I'm going to keep experimenting!

      Delete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!