Freezable Breakfast Burritos for the Week

Tuesday, October 22, 2013


I'm a creature of habit and routines meaning my morning routine is planned down to the minute (if I wake up at 6:17 and drink the coffee by 6:28..) and I really don't have time built in to make breakfast. Enter: Freezable Breakfast Burritos! Made a batch Sunday, wrapped them in foil and threw them in the freezer. Every morning I get up and microwave them for 2 minutes and enjoy  (or when I was late yesterday I threw a frozen one in my bag and heated it up at work and it was fine!).  You can put anything you want in these puppies, I used the usual suspects: beans, spinach, eggs, turkey.

Servings: 7
Cook Time: 10 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins

Ingredients
  • 7 eggs ($1.25)
  • 1/2 lb lean ground turkey ($2.50)
  • 3 handfuls of baby spinach, shredded ($1.00)
  • 3/4 cup salsa ($1.00)
  • 1 cup black beans ($.88)
    7 Ezekiel Tortillas (the website has a store locator, I found mine in the freezer section at Whole Foods) $($3.00)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
In one frying pan, scramble the eggs while you cook the turkey (with salt and pepper) until brown in the other pan. I only season my turkey with salt and pepper because my taste buds are not ready for much pizzaz in the early mornings, but if your's are season away.

Mix together the scrambled eggs, cooked turkey, and black beans. Scoop onto tortillas. Top the mixture with salsa and spinach. Fold the burritos Chipotle-style (tuck in the ends, fold the sides) and wrap in aluminum foil and throw them in the freezer! I like putting a scoop of Greek Yogurt on mine in the morning too. Adds a nice texture.



Don't forget to label them if you share with someone who doesn't like salsa...

4 comments :

  1. how does the salsa hold up in the wrap? I'd worry it would be soggy...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freeze mine right away and don't take them out of the freezer until I'm ready to eat them so haven't had any issues with sogginess. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. How long do you pop it in the microwave for? I'm trying clean eating for the first time EVER this week :) Your recipes look so simple!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!