Goat Cheese & Carmelized Onion Stuffed Turkey Sliders + new cheap wine

Tuesday, June 17, 2014




As I mentioned yesterday, Friday night we had some dinner, did some Greek dance practicing, and drank a few gallons little wine. So somehow I had never made caramelized onions before and I assumed I would just slice up some onions and throw them in a frying pan. So that's not how you caramelize onions. Here is everything I learned about caramelizing onions and stuffing burgers with them:

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins

Ingredients
  • 1.5 lb lean ground turkey ($6.00)
  • 1/2 cup goat cheese ($2.50)
  • 1/2 onion, sliced ($.50)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Heat olive oil over low heat in a medium sized frying pan. Now throw your onion slices in the frying pan and let them cook over low heat for 45 minutes. Yes, 45 minutes. Stir them occasionally to make sure they don't get stuck to the pan, and make sure it's super low heat too.

Meanwhile mix together the turkey and all the seasonings and peppers. Using half the turkey, form little tiny bowls (pictured below) by making your hand into a little bowl and molding it into the shape of your palm. Fill your little bowls goat cheese and the caramelized onions. Now make little tiny lids and pinch them onto the bowls so you have a full patty. 


Flatten your sliders out as much as possible and cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes on each side. I covered mine for the first half of the cooking process. 

We put them on whole wheat slider buns and ate with Maria's Greek Salad (she's actually Greek and was teaching us our dances to prep for the wedding). Sidenote: did you know Greeks don't use lettuce? Ever? Weird right?

Ok, these were freaking DELICIOUS and I'm going to be that bougie girl that brings goat cheese stuffed burgers to the 4th of July cookout but whatever, they were that good. 


You know what else I'm bringing to 4th of July cookout? This CK Mondavi Wine we had the chance to sample. This wine is awesome because it a) is under $10, b) donates proceeds to support war veterans via the Fallen Heroes Fund, c) is completely American wine, d) is the only American made/grown wine in the “supermarket wine under $10” category. Soo you're saying on the 4th I can drink tasty wine for under $10 that is American AND proceeds go to veterans? Yes please.



I'm not much of a wine connoisseur (I had to google how to spell it) but this stuff was good! My favorite was the Scarlet Five- it was basically a combo of the best parts of 5 reds, and it tasted soo good with these sliders. So for me, CK Mondavi is the perfect 4th of July wine. Not only is it the only wine in this price point to be 100% American made & grown, but a percentage of sales goes to supporting veterans.



Tell me: what is your favorite clean food to take to the 4th of July? Are you eating clean this 4th? What is your favorite wine under $10?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

16 comments :

  1. You had me at goat cheese, yum!!!!

    I am not a huge wine person, I like ciders and beers more. Maybe I just don't know how to pick wines out, who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Goat Cheese in a turkey slider.. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

    I was a HUGE wine lover, and Klay started brewing.. I am slowly turning more into a cider/beer person as well.

    But.. I love Red wines.. with fancy red meat dishes. Just saying!

    Clean eating for the 4th.. That would mean I know what we are doing for the 4th. Supposedly we are doing a bbq with friends, but, we're procrastinating on making plans.

    I'll make sure there's a mixture of all...Clean and Unclean.... Got to be fair to everyone.. right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That burger looks delicious! I am all for a wine that gives back to heroes. Twist my arm to drink it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing!! Found your recipe at Eat, Drink and Be Mary.  I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already. Here is the link
    http://bit.ly/1lNY6hK
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great wine idea! I'm always on the hunt for a good cheap wine (it's like a game sometimes) and I'm all for helping out a good cause. Also, I don't eat meat but I'm seriously tempted to try your stuffed burgers with a veggie alternative, perhaps stuffed in black bean burgers. Really anything with goat's cheese is going to make me drool

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sliders are seriously TO DIE FOR. I just want more. All day long. And I can't wait to eat them again at July 4th! I might have to make them myself before then, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sliders look delish! I swear I dont know how people make these gorgeous well put together meals. I so wish I was just one ounce more domesticated haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my yum...
    You're coming to my house with those on the 4th, right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!

    I love your blog :) It caught my attention thanks to the quality of your recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us on Mytaste.com so that we could link to your blog.

    Mytaste.com is a search engine that compiles the best American cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. We are one of the largest in the world with sites in 37 markets and thousands of blogs are already enrolled here and benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

    To join Mytaste.com, just go to mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Sincerely,

    Emilie
    Mytaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sliders look amazing, especially with those caramelized onions! MMMM!
    Thanks for sharing with us at DDT! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, that recipe is 21 Day Sugar Detox safe! Making those next Tuesday night. Or maybe tonight, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to check out that wine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wine under $10? That sounds great, and it doesn't get much better that it donates the proceeds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have never tried goat cheese, but these sound amazing! i had no idea how to caramelize onions, so thanks for that. i want to try these, but if i am too scared to make your crockpot chicken... i'm way too scared to attempt these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREEKS DON'T USE LETTUCE????? SO GREEK SALAD HAS BEEN A FRAUD THIS WHOLE TIME!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!