Last watermelon of the season + weekend recap

Monday, September 15, 2014

So fall kind of came out of nowhere around these parts- last week was in the 90s and today I woke up to temps in the 50s! Time to go boot shoppingggg?

Anyway before we kiss all things summer goodbye, here is a recipe for that last watermelon of the season, one of my favs: watermelon goat cheese salad hallloo!



Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Servings: 6 (depending on the size of the watermelon)

Ingredients:

  • 1 watermelon, cubed
  • 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Cup crumbled goat cheese (Trader Joe's has it for a great price, surprise)

Lay out the cubes in a single layer. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top each cube with crumbles of goat cheese.

That's it and it's the perfect appetizer!

Onto the weekend...My family and I flew to Memphis to visit my little brother and it was so much fun! We did everythinggg.

Drank the local beer (obligatory local beer picture for Nadine - have you had this? I loved it!)


Saw this campaign ad for a senate candidate and got pissed that as a DC resident I don't have a voice in Congress yet the people who DO get to vote choose their candidates based on posters like this?


Spent time contemplating how on earth a restaurant and bar with LIVE DUCKS in it can pass health inspections at the Peabody?


Had a sweet view for a tiny price thanks to Airbnb (even though the apartment itself left a some to be desired...but I knew that from reading reviews and saved hundreds of dollars and stayed in prime location)


Went to a concert at Levitt Shell


Ate some BOMB FOOD ALL WEEKEND (note: the restaurant menus were seriously lacking healthy items. I'm so used to DC where menus are geared towards health nuts. Even the salads were topped with fried veggies/chicken). This Memphis Po Boy was from SoulFish. Highly, highly recommend.


Spent time with my brother and his boo (people always ask if we're twins, do you see it?)


Attended the Cooper-Young Festival (As an avid day-drinker I have attended probably close to 50 festivals. This was the MOST well organized street festival I have EVER seen. I see you, Memphis!)


I stepped into a building in Cooper-Young and saw this AMAZING mural (Lap infinity, still laughing)


Suffered a heart breaking loss to South Carolina due to a matter of TWO INCHES. My man summed up my feelings:


Explored some lovely sites on a morning jog:

Hope everyone has a great week!

15 comments :

  1. I am now drooling for watermelon and goat cheese. Like you said, crazy that last week it was 90's and today I woke up and it was 51! Never been to Memphis, but it looks like you had a great time. And I, too, think it's worth it to sacrifice how nice a place you are staying for a prime location. You and your bro have the same smile! <3 Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your brother definitely look alike - maybe not twins but related for sure! Sounds like it was a great weekend aside from the ducks in the restaurant lol!! The SC game was insane!! Hope you have a great Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great weekend!

    You can tell you and your bro are related - but I don't see the twinsie thing.

    2 inches? ACK - my face would have been - more than a duckbill - hehehehe

    :) Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm watermelon. i would have never thought to put it with anything else though, specially cheese. need to try that next summer lol. the festival looks like so much fun, i've never been to memphis. i think you and your brother look heaps alike, not necessarily twins but i can definitely see why people would ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Memphis but I'm adding this on my to-travel list lol! Girl, us southerners can't help but put fried something somewhere in our diet. LOL!!! I definitely can see the resemblence/twinny look between you and your brother. I have to say, even though I am nowhere near a GA fan, that loss even had me looking like whaaatttt?? I hated that they kept talking about it. It was like "Ok they feel bad enough! Drop it!" Maybe this weekend will be a better weekend for GA :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all three of those ingredients so I'm on board. Although fall has officially arrived in northern Canada and I'm not sure about my prospects of watermelon hunting. Your morning run looks amazing! What great shots

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first glance the watermelon looked like tuna (raw). Watermelon season is coming to an end so I think I'll have to try it while I still can.

    I love that you are an avid day drinker. This is my new thing. I like it a lot better as it reduces hang overs!

    Yes, you and your bro look very alike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys could totally be twins (or triplets haha) and I love the watermelon goat cheese idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two definitely look alike!! What a great weekend!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like such a fun time! Love Airbnb!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun fun fun (except for the GA game). i'm a bama fan, so not too heartbroken for y'all...BUT my favorite cousin (more like a brother) is a rabid GA fan / alum and so i try to cheer them on when it doesn't hurt my team. that's a really really tough way to lose :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm love watermelon. Totally fall here too, in the 30's in the mornings. Totally can tell you are related in the smile. Live Ducks?! So cool, but agree how is that healthy. The guys expression is priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i still cannot get over losing that game!! it's like a mental block against spurrier or something. argh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH I want some watermelon. That looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!