Current Status: Snowed In & Trying Every Winter Cocktail

Sunday, January 24, 2016




This is the current view from my front porch and I am absolutely not complaining. Harrison was in charge of survival food so we currently have 2 dozen eggs, 6 bottles of peach Andre, 1 jug of OJ, 5 lbs of bacon, a frozen pizza, and enough alcohol to supply the District of Columbia for 3 weeks. I've got Fiesta Chili cooking in the crockpot (recipe coming soon) and have had enough time inside to try every type of necessary cocktail. Here are my favs:

Peach Mimosas


This isn't necessarily winter-specific, but to me nothing says SNOW DAY like a multiple hour brunch with mimosas. This recipe is fail-proof: fill the cup with peach champagne (we use Andre, v. fancy of course), top it off with OJ. Adds a little pizzaz to the typical mimosa. And yes, I drink my mimosas out of a pint glass because I could either refill every few sips or dump half a bottle of champagne in my glass at once. Your choice, but I'm looking for minimal effort on a snow day.


Clean Spiked Hot Chocolate

Something about snow days makes me want to eat everything in sight and the unhealthier the more appealing. I feel better about myself when I am at least drinking clean hot chocolate (even if the spike isn't clean).




Ingredients:

  • Mug filled 4/5 of the way with hot milk - I always use Unsweetened Cashew Milk (while we're at it, I love funny mugs like this, this, and this)
  • 1.5 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (Pro Tip: the way to know if it's clean is if the only ingredient on the label is cocoa)
  • 2 teaspoons honey, agave syrup or natural sweetener of your choice
  • 1-2 shots of Grand Marnier (this is my personal choice, it also tastes delicious with Bailey's or whiskey if you're a whiskey person)
Slowly add the cocoa powder to the hot milk while mixing. It takes awhile for this to mix in but it will. Next add the sweetener and booze and mix well. Next, drink at a healthy pace because this tastes so good I accidentally drank it really fast and needed a nap immediately after.

                                  via


Easy Crockpot Mulled Wine (set it and forget it - my fav!)

Am I the only one who hears "Mold Wine" every time someone says this out loud? Either way it's delish.

Ingredients:

  • 1 pack of Mulled Wine Spices (I get mine on Amazon here)
  • 1 bottle of Red Wine (I am extremely unsophisticated, no clue if it makes a difference which type you use. I exclusively drink Trader Joe's 2 buck chuck and whatever Club W sends me for the month)
  • 3 cups cran-apple juice
Throw it all in the crockpot, cook on low for 1 hour. 

PS - Club W is a Godsend. If you want to try you can use my link for a free bottle 


The Bet Bloody Mary in the Whole Freaking World

Again, nothing about this screams winter, but everything about it screams snow day to me. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 Pint Glass full of ice
  • 2 shots of vodka (preferably 1 shot regular, 1 shot of bacon infused vodka)
  • Fill the rest of the glass with Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix
  • If you have these items on hand they are delicious additions but by no means necessary - Zing Zang takes care of bloody marys real nice: squirt of fresh lime juice, teaspoon of horseradish, pickle spear, toothpick crammed with as many olives as possible, Slim Jim (gross but works), strip of bacon, banana pepper, chunk of string cheese.

6 comments :

  1. What a good mix of drinks! Very creative. I forgot the OJ so no mimosas over here :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And the video of your pups running through the snow tunnel was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg... I want all of this. So craving a bloody Mary and missing brunch so badly during my Whole30. Soon. Oh and I never thought to make clean hot chocolate... great idea!!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm peach mimosa sounds fabulous! as does that spiked hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhhhh giveme that peach mimosa!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trusty's in DC serves the best Bloody Mary's with pickled okra!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!