Friday, October 11, 2013

Clean Crockpot Mexican Chicken

I spent last weekend in Memphis with my brother and got back to DC late Sunday night, which made prepping food for the week difficult. But Sunday night before bed I spent 5 minutes throwing whatever I could find in the pantry/freezer/fridge into the crockpot and let it cook overnight and voila! Lunch for the week! Real good lunch actually! Added bonus: the house (and entire apartment hallway) smelled amazzzzinggg when we woke up. Here's the breakdown:

Servings: 10
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours in the crockpot

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 lbs chicken breast ($7.50)
  • 1 can black beans ($1.00)
  • 1 can large kidney beans ($1.00)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles- I used Rotel ($1.50)
  • 15 oz natural reduced-sodium chicken broth ($2.00)
  • 1 large green pepper, chopped ($1.00)
  • 1 jalapeno- with seeds if you like the kick ($.50)
  • 1 cup frozen corn ($.50)
  • 1 15 oz jar clean salsa (Trader Joes and Whole Foods have good options) ($2.50)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp chili powder
Throw it all in the crockpot (I got mine for $10 at Goodwill. If that's not your style Amazon has great options for inexpensive crockpots here). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. After about 6 hours (or whenever you wake up if you're cooking over night) the chicken should just fall apart as you stir it. Stir the mixture together, and using 2 forks pull the chicken breasts apart. Mix it all thoroughly and let it to set in the fridge for about an hour to allow everything to cool down and absorb. I was in a hurry so threw some in a tupperware and let the rest set in the fridge. Yum, yum, yum.

Try eating it different ways: I eat it in a bowl with fat free Greek Yogurt topping, we ate it in lettuce wraps and on salad. It's REAL delicious.

3 comments:

I love to hear what you have to say and I always comment back! If you've blogged about a similar topic leave a link so I can learn more, and I always appreciate if you leave a link to your blog in your comment so others joining the discussion can find your blog quick & easy!