Big surprise- another plantain recipe! As long as plantains are 5 for $2, I'm gonna be on a plantain-with-everything-diet, and zzoommgggg this was amazing!! The sweet and savory taste combination was on point! I cannot wait to cook this one again, I LOVED IT SO FREAKING MUCH. Here's the breakdown:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 4 ripe (brownish black) plantains ($1.90)
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey ($1.50)
- 1 cup natural chicken broth ($1.00)
- 1 cup natural, no sugar added tomato sauce ($.50)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped ($.50)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced ($.10)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or your oil of choice)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime ($.30)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese ($.50)
While the plantains cook, combine the diced onion and garlic in a frying pan. Cook about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring/pushing the onions/garlic around the pan constantly so they don't burn on the pan.
Add the seasonings, broth, turkey and tomato sauce to the onion/garlic combo. Continue cooking and mixing the concoction together for 15 minutes or until the turkey is completely browned.
Take the plantains out of the oven and split down the middle. These plantains are tough little puppies so cut deep! The deeper the cut, the more stuffing can go in!
Spoon the stuffing into the slices on the plantains. Stuff as much as possible in there- it's good! Top the meat with lime juice, then add the mozzarella cheese. Enjoy.
How do you cook your plantains? What else can I be doing?