Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fall Veggie Shmorgishborg



Something about this time of year makes me get my sh*t together. Maybe it's that after 3 months of being a stain (aka summer) I just can't take it anymore and force myself back into healthy routines, or maybe it's that I just really love fall/winter produce so I want to cook more. Whatever it is, I got my mojo back! I picked up a bunch of fall veggies at Trader Joe's and came up with this recipe:

Servings: 5
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins

Ingredients

  • 10 ounces of sliced/shaved brussel sprouts (I bought a bag at Trader Joe's) ($2.50)
  • 1 Cup Quinoa
  • 1 lb peeled and diced butternut squash (again- bought a package of peeled and diced at Trader Joe's) ($2.50)
  • 1 can garbanzo beans ($.90)
  • 1 red onion, diced ($1.20)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon seasonall or seasoned salt or seasonings of your choice
  • For serving: sea salt, fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the brussel sprouts with the coconut oil and the season-all or seasoned salt or whatever you want, so they are evenly coated. Spread them out into one layer on a baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes.

While the sprouts are roasting, cook the quinoa. Coat a large frying pan with the remaining coconut oil. Heat your butternut squash, covered over medium heat, for about 15 minutes. Add the onion and cook for another 3 minutes, then add the garlic, beans, salt and pepper and continue cooking (stir constantly)- this portion of the cooking can be uncovered. 

Once the quinoa and sprouts are done cooking, add them to the frying pan and mix everything together and cook for about 5 more minutes. 

Serve with fresh parsley and sea salt and enjoy!

Question: what are your favorite fall veggies to cook with?

These are a few of my favorite thingsssss:




11 comments:

  1. I seem to lean towards beans and sweet potatoes this time of year. And by beans, I mean chilis and soups with beans in them...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried butternut squash...this may give me a reason to try it! You know I'm a sucker for your recipes--but coconut oil...can I replace with olive oil? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you too? Something about summer makes me just not give 2 flippin hoots about health then when cold weather comes, I'm like, "Let's run! Eat all the veggies!" lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good - I'm definitely going to make this bad boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds deeeelicious. give me all the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling - I have been cooking up a storm now that the weather is getting a little colder and its all about the crock pot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so delicious! I buy a similar dish at the restaurant Veggie Grill and just love it!

    www.simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all things brussels and this looks like something i can make a big batch of for meal prep.

    I wonder if the summer time is cuz we wanna have ice cream and don't want to cook so we avoid making the kitchen hot. I know I like switching to crock pot stuff and chilis and soups. But it's still quite warm in AZ so I haven't busted on the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say and I always comment back! If you've blogged about a similar topic leave a link so I can learn more, and I always appreciate if you leave a link to your blog in your comment so others joining the discussion can find your blog quick & easy!