Something about this time of year makes me get my sh*t together. Maybe it's that after 3 months of being a stain (aka summer) I just can't take it anymore and force myself back into healthy routines, or maybe it's that I just really love fall/winter produce so I want to cook more. Whatever it is, I got my mojo back! I picked up a bunch of fall veggies at Trader Joe's and came up with this recipe:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 10 ounces of sliced/shaved brussel sprouts (I bought a bag at Trader Joe's) ($2.50)
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 lb peeled and diced butternut squash (again- bought a package of peeled and diced at Trader Joe's) ($2.50)
- 1 can garbanzo beans ($.90)
- 1 red onion, diced ($1.20)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasonall or seasoned salt or seasonings of your choice
- For serving: sea salt, fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the brussel sprouts with the coconut oil and the season-all or seasoned salt or whatever you want, so they are evenly coated. Spread them out into one layer on a baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes.
While the sprouts are roasting, cook the quinoa. Coat a large frying pan with the remaining coconut oil. Heat your butternut squash, covered over medium heat, for about 15 minutes. Add the onion and cook for another 3 minutes, then add the garlic, beans, salt and pepper and continue cooking (stir constantly)- this portion of the cooking can be uncovered.
Once the quinoa and sprouts are done cooking, add them to the frying pan and mix everything together and cook for about 5 more minutes.
Serve with fresh parsley and sea salt and enjoy!
Question: what are your favorite fall veggies to cook with?
These are a few of my favorite thingsssss: