Bomb Breakfast Casserole + Paleo Updates

Monday, November 17, 2014

A few weeks ago I talked about how Harrison and I are going paleo for awhile to shake things up a little before the wedding. We've made some great progress! In 2 weeks he has lost 6 lbs and I've lost 4, I've lost an inch around my waist and an inch around my hips, Harrison has lost 2 inches around his belly (whaa) and an inch around his neck. Isn't that nuts?

Doing this with Harrison has been hilarious/weird. As someone who spent years in Weight Watchers Anonymous, I've been aware and educated about my food for a solid 8 years. Knowing what I'm eating and understanding the nutrition in it and how the nutrition affects the body is the norm for me. Not so much for Harrison. For example: The day he ate a freezer bag of almonds and almost sh*t his pants and couldn't figure out what upset his stomach. We had a little talk about fiber, and the fact that I eat 10 almonds a day for a few reasons...


So now that you have that visual in your mind, how about some tasty breakfast casserole:

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins

Ingredients:

For the crust/bottom:

  • 2 sweet potatoes, mashed ($2)
  • 1 Cup Almond Meal (found a great deal at Wal-Mart)
  • 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the rest of it:
  • 10 eggs, beaten ($1.50)
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon sea salt + black pepper
  • 2 Tomatoes, sliced ($2)
  • 1/2 onion, diced ($.50)
  • 1/2 lb ground turkey, cooked (I used leftover cooked turkey that didn't make it into my meatballs) ($2.50)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine all the crust ingredients and knead well with your hands (it's icky). Smash it into a non-stick 9x9 baking dish (smoosh it all around until the entire bottom of the dish is covered) and cook for 25 minutes, or until the crust is no longer dough-y in the middle.

While the crust is cooking, combine the seasonings, eggs, onion, and ground turkey and mix it all well.

Once the crust is cooked, pour the egg concoction on top of the crust. Top the egg concoction with the tomatoes and cook for 25-35 mins (until the egg is cooked all the way through). I kept mine covered in the fridge for a week, eating a piece each day.

Right before that puppy went in the oven
























And breakfasts like this are what make me think I could live solely on paleo breakfast.



25 comments :

  1. i swear men can lose weight the fastest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys! That's wonderful results in two weeks!
    And that casserole - makes me also think I could live on paleo breakfast as well!!!!

    Hehehehe a freezer bag of Almonds - poor guy - but I'm still giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a fan of breakfast casseroles and the like but this actually looks delicious! and way to go for both of you losing a few pounds and inches, thats awesome. haha @ the almonds. My husband once tried to eat a lemon.. yes, like an orange, he just tried to take a bite out of it. I laughed so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously making this tonight! And the almond situation - LOLOLOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl congrats on the great progress with your Paleo diet!! That casserole looks amazing! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome!!! I have been so off my game and I feel it, but I blame unemployment and the need to eat cheap and comforting things. Like bread:) And wine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds yummy! Congrats on the progress, that is awesome! It is so hard to cut back around this time of year, so more props to you guys!!! I am going to do a huge sugar/dairy/carb detox after the first of the year....I know that I would fail if I tried it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! Great job. I really like Paleo, though cheese was tough to give up I am craving it less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That look so good!!! Why don't they listen to us seriously? I mean eating like a block of cheese probably isn't a good thing.....probably should have listened to me when I told you it is meant in very small quantities ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! I'm really into baked egg things lately—definitely want to try this : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great - pinned it! Yayy for progress. Ok this winter we are going on a run!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your progress - that is AWESOME!! you know what else is awesome - how good that breakfast looks - I am going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont eat tomatoes but the rest of it ... YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! This looks delicious! It's definitely not helping with my hunger right now. Hah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahah, OMG...the almonds? Hilarious...well, prob not so hilarious at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the weight loss! Guys always lose faster, they have more muscle. That casserole looks really really good. I have a few sizes in the shape of a rectangle but I like that yours is a bit more square so the casserole sits higher in the dish. It gives me the appearance of more food - which I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is too funny. I am so glad you guys are doing it together. That makes all the difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WTF, almonds don't make me go like that! Congrats on the weight loss, that's fantastic! I did a breakfast casserole similar to that when I did the sugar detox. YUM! I'm impressed with these changes you are making

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this last night and it was yummy this morning! I used an 8x8 and it took a bit longer to cook but so good. Absolutely love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are You Having Problems FOLLOWING with the Paleo Diet?

    Want to munch on healthy tasty recipes TONIGHT?

    Get your amazing Paleohacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some people may claim not to have breakfast. Especially for the millenials, many are grounded on the basis of busyness and no time, making them often skip breakfast. But do not be underestimated, in fact breakfast has benefits for our body health.

    Therefore spend breakfast even if only with a simple menu. Some paleo breakfast menu is simple and easy to make for millenials.
    http://bit.ly/2Ffxjg8

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!