Anyway, Mexican food is my fav but unfortunately my favorite Mexican dishes include tortillas, cheese, sour cream, and did I mention cheese? This little spin on fajitas keeps it all healthy, eliminates the no-no foods, and honestly I didn't really miss the cheese and sour cream!
Cook Time: 20 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast (I get the cage free organic for about $4/lb)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced ($2.50)
- 1 red onion, sliced ($1.25)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and sliced ($1)
- 1 avocado, sliced ($1)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced ($1)
- 10 ounces tomatoes, sliced ($3)
- 1 bag of lettuce, chopped (I mix a bag of spinach and a bag of kale - each is $2 from Trader Joe's)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon of bacon grease or cooking fat of your choice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Optional: Salsa to top the
Slice up the chicken breast into strips and toss with the sea salt, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. Grease a large frying pan with your cooking fat and cook the chicken strips over medium heat for about 15 minutes. When the chicken is almost done, add in the onion, peppers, jalapeno, mushrooms and lime juice and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
Top the lettuce with the frying pan concoction, cilantro and avocado slices and enjoy!
What is your favorite Mexican dish?
This week's meal plan: