Clean Eating GROWN UP GRILLED CHEESE

Tuesday, March 25, 2014


Since winter has refused to end and my ultimatums to mother nature have gotten us nowhere, I've decided to embrace all things winter. When life hands you lemons, make a vodka-water-lemon-juice right? One of my favorite winter standbys is grilled cheese so I decided to make myself a grown up grilled cheese with a glass of red wine while I wait for the impending doom that is 1-3 inches of snow on its way.

Weird sidenote- I used to be so jealous of my friends who got to eat grilled cheese with Kraft Singles because my mom only bought Velveeta. Not gonna lie, I do still get the occasional craving for some super processed chemical-compound-cheese flavored mass once in awhile. And may or may not be looking forward to a few Nats games this year with some nachos drenched in ballpark cheese (cheat days).

Servings: 1
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins

Ingredients:

  • 2 pieces of Ezekiel Bread, thawed
  • 2 Tablespoons goat cheese
  • 2 slices tomato
  • 2 slices avocado
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 slice onion
  • 1 teaspoon garlic seasoning

Spread the goat cheese on one slice of bread. Top with tomato and avocado. On the other slice of bread sprinkle the mozzarella and top with onion. Evenly sprinkle the garlic seasoning. Heat both slices face up in a toaster oven at 275 for about 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. If you don't have a toaster oven you can heat them on a frying pan over medium heat.


PS Harrison and I ate this while watching Jesus Camp on Netflix (gotta finish my Netflix binges while the weather still sucks so much I can' set foot outside..)- anyone else seen that? I grew up going to church camp so def have mixed feelings about it but MAN.

Linking up today at Turn It Up Tuesdays and Delicious Dish Tuesdays

6 comments :

  1. That looks so good! I love grilled cheese so you can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I'm going to have to try this.
    My latest yummy treat has been pizza english muffins. I remember eating these as a kid. Trader joes pizza sauce, a light sprinkle of cheese. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it weird that the thought of "goat cheese" makes me gag a little?! I surely hope its not near as bad as I am thinking! :)

    -Kristen | Kandid Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty! Can you enlighten me about Ezekiel bread? I've heard mention of it a few times, but never tried it. I generally eat grain free though which nixes most breads you can find at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Lindsay those look SOOO good! I absolutely LOVE goat cheese! I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grilled cheese is def. one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your "grown up" version of the childhood recipe at Delicious Dish Tuesday, I hope to see another yummy looking recipe tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!