Wednesday Workout: HIIT and Yoga

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ok so once again I am extremely late to the game, but at dinner the other night everyone was talking about yoga and I was like "am I really the last one in the world to not try yoga?" The answer is yes and the reason is that yoga is freaking amazing. I am really bad about stretching, and yoga is like forced stretching + strength building. I did yoga twice this week after HIIT workouts and my lower back pain and hamstring tightness are essentially non-existent. My goal for this week is to follow every HIIT routine with at least 20 minutes of yoga. I'm not flexible at all so I do the moves the best I can and still feel great.  Anyone have good yoga resources to share?


This HIIT workout was killer. I don't have a kettlebell so I just used my 5-lb dumbbells and it was fine. By fine I mean I thought I was going to suffocate and die at minute 7 but that's a personal problem.



Also finally started using FitnessBlender.com where they have these helpful graphics with each video, as well as a description and why the workout works. Click here for more info on this kettlebell workout.


I followed this workout with one of Melissa Bender's yoga flows here:



Ok and can we just talk about this? Like what? Will I be able to comfortably do that someday?-->


Do you do yoga? Why or why not? What are your favorite yoga videos/classes/types of yoga?

Linking up today at #WOWLinkUp, Weigh In Wednesday, and The Humpday Blog Hop. Check them out for some awesome health and fitness inspiration !

18 comments :

  1. Hey neighbor! I'm in Springfield! And I can't do yoga...yet, but those videos are great!!
    http://www.fleurtyandfit.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I don't think I'm EVER gonna be able to do that pose! I recently started with yoga and I think I need to do more than just once per week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at that pose made my knees want to break in half. Youch...
    I am so behind on the yoga thing. I have always wanted to take a yoga class. I am afraid if I wing it, I will hurt my self beyond repair, but I just haven't signed up for one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure about the move at the end, I am not sure I would be able to get out of it and my husband might find me like that when he got home from work... lol

    thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links to those workout videos, I will def have to try em' out. I am flexible and make sure to stretch when I work out, but yoga bores me at times...I like upbeat music and fast paced classes like Body Pump and Body Combat. But slowing down and focusing on relaxing and stretching is important too. I need to incorporate a class or 2 into my schedule. :)

    http://whatadventuresawait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I am soooo not flexible and with this bum knee the thought of doing the pose in that last photo is ONLY a dream. LOL I will continue to try my best and stretch as much as I can remember to do. Ha! Thanks for stopping by the #wowlinkup today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The FitnessBlender site looks interesting. I can never "zone out" like everyone talks about in yoga. My mind is always racing in silence. One day though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like yoga, but I've done that pose during Bikram (hot) yoga and it wasn't pleasant. It wasn't one of those, oooohh feels good kind of poses. Very awkward for me. Love the video, FitnessBlender looks interesting. So many tools out there to stay fit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Over from the link up....
    Nope, you are not the last one onto the yoga train...I don't have a ticket yet! Perhaps I should consider trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been wanting to try yoga and have never heard of HIIT before. I hope to try yoga soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love yoga! That version of heroes pose is terrible though (for me anyway). I'm pretty confident in saying my knees will never be okay with it. I like teaching a vinyasa style classes and going to power/vinyasa heated classes. #wowlinkup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that FitnessBlender workout! Haven't tried any of Melissa Bender's workout videos, will have to check them out! I am super inflexible though, so we'll see how it goes... #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to love yoga. I did it not for the work out but for the relaxation. When I lived in the city I went frequently, but now that I'm back in my hometown, the only place that offers yoga is taught by someone who just doesn't get me into my happy place. She's a good instructor, but we just don't click :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny. Ok, can I say that I loved the Fitness Blender video because she looks like she is at least a bit tired so that would give me some motivation to push myself :) And that pose at the end had my knees in pain just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love yoga but haven't done it in a while. My joints have been bothering me. It helps so much with my peace of mind and I think I'm just going to push through the pain to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got hurt doing yoga doing a television yoga program so I kind have stayed away trying to learn it the proper way. I really need to take a beginners class. Stopping by from the #wowlinkup.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A. Yoga is delicious and I love it. B. Fitness Blender kicks. my. butt. But I love it. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had back pain so I started doing Yoga with help of workout videos, and I must say now I feel so flexibility in my body and my back pain have reduced a lot. Now I can walk easily with help of a stick. Thanks to my friend who suggested me to start doing yoga.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!