I know the name of this is unnecessarily long, but everything in it is so important- so many power foods packed into one little patty! These made about 10 patties so I refrigerated 4 of them for lunch that week and froze the rest. BF hates black beans but I didn't tell him there were black beans in this and he loved them too.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 10 medium sized patties
- 1 can black beans (drained) $1.00
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (got this at Costco forever ago, no clue how much it cost)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (so measure out about 3/4 cup dried quinoa and cook that) $2.00
- Half a large onion, diced $.50
- 1 zucchini, diced finely $.75
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced $.80
- 1 egg $.20
- A tiny bit of flour (I couldn't get the patties to stay together so I just added a litttttle tiny bit of dirty flour. You can use any kind of clean flour like garbanzo flour or coconut flour but I didn't have any on hand)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Puree the black beans and balsamic vinegar in the blender or food processor. Combine the black bean puree mix with all the veggies and the egg and mix them together. Refrigerate the mixture for about an hour. Once it's been in the fridge for awhile make the patties (this is where I had to add a little flour because the mix was too soft/sticky to form patties). Make the patties and cook them in sprayed frying pan, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Be REALLY careful when you're flipping these! They fall apart but they're so worth it!
I like eating these topped with Greek Yogurt, tomato slices and arugula. Yummm