This is the perfect clean winter meal. It takes a little longer to make than most of the food I make but hey, it was lunch for a week! I swithed it up a little each day- one day I topped it with avocados, one day with Greek Yogurt, one day with both, etc. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey ($1.50)*
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or olive oil or whatever oil you use to saute your veggies)
- 1 green pepper, diced ($.90)
- 1 red onion, diced ($1)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups natural, organic chicken broth ($1.00)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 can crushed tomatoes ($1.50)
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (I buy the pre-chopped) ($3.00)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can black beans ($.95)
- Optional toppings: scoop of Greek Yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, avocado
In a large saucepan, saute the onion for about 3 minutes. Add the pepper and continue to saute another 5 minutes, adding the garlic for the last minute. While the veggies are cooking, cook the turkey until it is browned.
Add broth, red wine vinegar, butternut squash, crushed tomatoes, turkey and spices and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add in the beans and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.