Seriously, podcasts saved me yesterday as I was either bopping around the Dallas airport or sitting on a plane en route to sunny San Diego (NO SNOW!!). I listen to podcasts via my iphone on the bus (yes they work for drowning out the sound of that man on my bus EVERY. SINGLE. DAY singing Maxwell at the top of his lungs), walking Andi, on car rides... The only down side is that when I'm listening to The Read I laugh out loud and look crazier than the guy singing Maxwell on the bus.
The Read: This has me on the floor every time I listen- it is hilarious. Two friends who are new-ish to NYC discuss pop culture, help listeners with their personal issues, and give epic "reads" at the end of every episode.
Must Listen: ALL OF THEM.
2. This American Life: Stories of regular people, regular things, made interesting.
Must Listen: Notes on Camp
3. RadioLab: 2 scientist guys dive deep into all kinds of things and happenings and look into any kind of crazy question. They use sound to illustrate their explanations, it's so cool.
Must Listen: Colors
4. Ted Radio Hour: Four TED Talks about a chosen topic, plus interviews with the speakers.
Must Listen: Giving It Away
5. Freakonomics Radio: The guys who wrote the book have a radio show and they explore the economics of social issues.
Must Listen: How Much Does a Name Really Matter?
6. Savage Lovecast: Dan Savage answers all your deepest (and weirdest- no judgement just saying) sex questions with his witty humor. You never know what you're going to get.
Must Listen: I couldn't find the episode, but there's one where a guy talks about drinking vampire blood. Um..
Things I'm loving on the interwebs this week:
- Some of the most beautiful, loving photos I've ever seen (can this guy be my wedding photographer?) from the All Love is Equal Kickstarter Project: Romantic Pictures Of Gay Couples Around The Globe Challenge Public Representation Of LGBT Community
- I'm so DC for this one: Real Life Political Scandals That Would Make Great House of Cards Story Lines
- I could really care less about winter sports but I love America, I love patriotism, and I love ESPN's 30 for 30 on Tanya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan.
- There are approximately 1 million of these lists floating around but one really nails how I'm feeling about life (after I spent $1,000 in plane tickets this month) : The 18 Best Things About Being in Your Late 20's
- I still can't get over Malala. I know this is old but it never gets old: Watch This Incredible Young Woman Render John Stewart Speechless
- Not many people know this about me (except now the few thousand daily readers of Broke and Bougie) but I have this secret dream of living on a farm with a million foster kids and a million rescue dogs. I know. I know. I discovered Schumm Explosion this week which is a blog about a foster family turned adoptive family (with 14 kids!!!!). If you have a heart you will love everything about it.
- These guys put out an epic Singles Awareness Day Soundtrack every Valentine's Day. Great to listen to at work, great to listen to period. I'm on my 7th listen since last week.
- I had the incredible opportunity to work at this turn-around school last year and could not be happier to see them getting this recognition. I cried at the first line and Harrison had to read it out loud to me. It's that wonderful.
UPDATE: Podcast How-To (sorry I only know how to do this on the iphone. Anyone know how to do it on other phones?)
Step 1: Click the Podcast app on the homescreen.
Step 2: Click the magnifying glass in the bottom right hand corner. Sidenote: If you've never listened to podcasts, the "My Podcast" section will be empty and look different from this.
Step 4: Click on an episode of the podcast.
Listening at work? You can always listen to individual podcasts from the websites by clicking the links I listed above.