Anyway, recently some friends (ironically from that dorm) recently turned me on to Jimmy John's un-wiches. Now, I don't really like to do food in a way it's not supposed to be done i.e. lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches- those definitely belong on Whole30's Sex With Your Pants On list and I am not cool with it. HOWEVER, something about Jimmy Johns' unwich is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Is it the lettuce? Is it the way it's perfectly wrapped? Is it the meat? I don't know but they inspired me to try my own lettuce wraps as lunch for the week:
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 and a half pack deli turkey (Whole Foods has some paleo friendly deli turkey) ($8)
- 5 slices uncured bacon, cooked and crumbled ($5)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thin ($2)
- 10 slices red onion, chopped ($.10)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce ($2) (sidenote: iceberg lettuce always reminds me of when I worked in a middle school in Rhode Island and the cafeteria ladies used to say "Get your vegetables! Gotta get your veggies!" and load the kids' (and my) plates with crispy iceberg lettuce. Kind of makes me nostalgic but also glad my life is in a place where my main food groups no longer consist of Goldfish, iceberg lettuce, and Naragannsett beer.)
Optional spins to put on the wraps (I'm trying them all this week):
- Garlic hummus (oopsies not paleo but I gotta live a little)
- Avocado, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno
- Dipped in my favorite vinaigrette
Roll it tightly in the foil. Repeat 5 times. Keep in the fridge, grab and go every morning!
Do you do lettuce wraps? What is your favorite?