Wait but first - is is PortabellA or PortabellO? I always confuse words with A's vs. O's, I spelled Puerta Rico Puerto Rica for years, as well as Costo Rico, and even though I live in DC I stay drawing out of a hat to decide if I live in the nation's capitAl or capitOl.
PS Found this article of what to buy and not buy at Trader Joe's. I've been trying to get my sh*t together enough to write something like this!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 6 Portabella mushroom caps ($5.00)
- 2 oz Goat Cheese (or to taste, I got a little excessive with the goat cheese and will go for less next time) ($3.50)
- 1 red pepper, diced ($1)
- 1/2 red onion, diced ($1)
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease (or your choice of cooking fat)
- Baslamic vinegar to taste
- (Also pictured: a very lazy salad consisting of tomatoes and arugula topped with balsamic vinegar)
Place all the mushroom caps smoothe side down, remove the stems, and sprinkle crumbled goat cheese into 3 of them (they should be kind of like bowls).
Saute the onion and pepper in bacon grease or your cooking fat of choice for about 8 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps on top of the goat cheese. Drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar. Put the 3 empty caps onto the 3 full caps to make sandwiches.
Coat the veggie frying pan with more bacon grease and heat the "sandwiches" evenly for about 3-5 minutes on each side.
What's your favorite meatless Monday recipe?