Clean Eating Greek Stuffed Meatballs + The Time I tried Blue Apron

Monday, October 19, 2015

I'm only talking about Blue Apron because this Blue Apron subscription is the reason I had parsley and decided to make these sliders which turned into meatballs which were delicious.

Ok so everyone loves Blue Apron. I hear about it everywhere, I read about it everywhere, it is apparently the best thing ever. Do you know what, to me who has a weekly goal of feeding 2 people all organic whole foods on $75/week, is NOT the best thing ever? Paying $10 per meal per person. The other thing, to me who fast forwards through YouTube tutorials to just see the first and middle step because I am confident I can figure it out from there, that is not awesome is following intense directions. So here I am, the only person in the whole world who canceled their Blue Apron subscription. 

I do however think it's worth a try for 2 weeks - I DID have some great meals that inspired me to try new things this winter (recipes to come!). I also learned something from them - add lots of salt and lemon juice to everything and it will taste better! Did I miss that in cooking 101?

Anyway, all that to say I'm horrible at following directions (is that why I never enjoyed school?) and somehow ended up with a random assortment of leftover ingredients from my Blue Apron meals including: 4 cloves of garlic, 1 small onion, 1 tiny baggie of parsley, a bunch of green onions, and a purple potato. So while my chili cooked in the crockpot with 2/3 pack ground chicken I thought what they hey, let's throw a few things together and see what happens!



Servings: 5 Meatballs
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb ground chicken ($2)
  • 2 stems (is that what you call it? but you know what I mean right? like 2 stalks maybe?) vidalia onions chopped  ($.50)
  • 1/4 Cup fresh parsley, chopped ($.50)
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon ($.50)
  • 3 Tablespoons crumbled Feta ($1)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 egg
  • Optional seasonings: marjoram, basil, dill
Preheat the oven to 400. Mix all the ingredients together except for the Feta. Spoon about 1/5 of the mixture onto a separate plate and flatten it out. Sprinkle some of the Feta into the center of your flat meat stuff. Now pull all the edges up around the Feta and pinch them together until the Feta is completely wrapped up. I rolled mine around in my hands to get the round shape too.

Repeat this with the rest of the meat mixture and place your meatballs onto a baking sheet. Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. 

I just ate mine plain. I ate them quickly, hence the reason I only have pictures of one cooked meatball.

What is your favorite spin on meatballs?


4 comments :

  1. Hahaha! I'm pretty sure I would've cancelled my subscription too #rebelsisters. Those meatballs do look yummy though. Hope you're doing good sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read the reviews of Blue Apron but I am like mehhhh I cant make my own food, thanks! Haha! I love the sounds of this recipe. If we are being honest, you had me at feta. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read many reviews of Blue Apron and I just don't know if its my thing. I would be too worried they would send me something I couldn't eat OR if they nailed the GF issue I would get meals that I didn't like....I'm just better off on my own!!

    Those meat balls look amazing and I love feta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have no desire to try blue apron, half because of the price and half because i hate following directions as well. i like to wing all the things lol

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!