Servings: 4 sausages (Interpret this how you want - this is approximately 2 servings in my household - 3 sausages for Harrison and one for me)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ingredients for sausage & peppers (pronounced swausage and peppahs):
- 1 pack of chicken sausages (I get mine from Trader Joe's for $6/pack. They also have a good selection at Wal-Mart and I'm sure anywhere else. Just check the ingredients- I make sure I recognize all the ingredients)
- 3 medium bell peppers, sliced ($2)
- 1 large red onion, sliced ($1)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil of choice
- (optional) Buns: 100% Whole Wheat buns from Trader Joe's $3.99
Ingredients for the slaw
- 1 head of red cabbage, sliced ($2) or a bag of sliced cabbage/slaw
- 2 carrots, chopped tiny ($1)
- 3 sticks celery, chopped tiny ($1)
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Cook the sausages according to the package directions. While sausages are cooking, season the onions and peppers with salt and pepper and saute in the olive oil over medium heat for about 8-10 mins or until the onions are translucent.
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots and celery. In a medium bowl, mix together the honey, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper and whisk until it's all mixed up.
Toss the vegetables with the dressing mixture and salt and pepper. Add salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!