[Fire Pit Chats] "The Work"

Saturday, March 20, 2021

We're trying out a new thing around here that I'm calling "Fire Pit Chats". This attempt is to replicate the conversations my friends and I have around my backyard fire pit. Because of my professional background I have had the opportunity to hear different perspectives and learn how to sit in my discomfort and untangle complex social topics. One of the most valuable things to come out of this experience has been the continued conversations about how race impacts every part of our culture and non-white people's daily lived experience. I hope by sharing some of our conversations we can all learn to recognize the effects of race and how we can work to dismantle white supremacy. 

This conversation is especially timely with the events that unfolded this week. Ray has a unique perspective as a Marine Corps veteran, a father, a man who is half Black and half white, and as someone who has lived all over and worked in many industries. He talks through how he got started in his antiracism work, handling the discomfort that came with learning about himself, toxic masculinity, intersectionality (and what it is), where to start with "the work", and how to handle mistakes and apologies.

Check out Ray's YouTube channel that is a full library of resources to get your work started.

You can also find and share these conversations on my IGTV



Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!