Things I actually used in my hospital bag last time + what i wish i'd had (aka what i'm packing this time)

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Somehow it's already time to pack the "bug out bag" as my husband calls it, or the hospital bag as I call it, just in case things don't go according to schedule. This is what we're bringing and what we learned we don't need to bring this time around. 



1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 


My weekender bag: 

  • 4 pair of comfy leggings/sweats (my MVPs for pregnancy and postpartum are Lululemon Aligns and Aerie Offline Real Me. Also packing maternity pants/shorts)
  • 4 nursing friendly maternity tops (I brought non-maternity tops last time, did not use. Takes the tummy a bit to go down). I loved an oversize henley too.
  • Nursing bras
  • Pumping bra: I didn't have this last time, and due to Hall's unexpected NICU stay I needed to pump immediately. Holding a pump in place with an IV in my arm set off alarms every time and let me tell you - raging hormones + any extra stress = disaster. Please pack a pumping bra just in case - for your sanity.
  • Robe
  • Slides: Good for quick walks and showers. We're not bending over to put on shoes in the beginning.
  • Post partum recovery supplies: the Frida Mom supplies were superior to what my hospital had.
  • Frida upside down peri bottle: the hospital gave me what resembled a dish soap bottle which was not helpful for washing down there (can't use toilet paper in the beginning). Even the nurse was like "wow they should give these to all new moms!"
  • Toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, moisturizer, all of it. Also, first shower is magical, do it asap.
  • Delivery gown: this one from Kindred Bravely was great. The material is soft and breathable, the velcro gives you some dignity, and the openings in the front and back allow everyone all the access they need. Again, the nurses were like "wow this is so much better than the hospital gowns they should give these to all moms".
  • Big insulated bottle: the hospital provided us water cups but I was desperate for ice and this kept our ice cold overnight
  • Chapstick
  • Snacks: you never know what time you'll actually deliver, and if the kitchen will be open. Pack protein bars, drinks, snacks. 
  • 4 pair of socks
  • Baby pod: I had a packing pod with a going home outfit (swear by these magnetic onesies, especially because I had a whole audience of NICU nurses watching me dress a baby for the first time and was so grateful for how easy this was to get on), hat, blanket, swaddle, and pacifier.

Harrison's rolling suitcase:

  • Pillows
  • Blankets
  • Towels

Harrison's weekender bag:

  • His clothes and whatever else he needs for a few nights stay (note from an L&D nurse friend to partners: please remember to pack sleeping pants or shorts, even if you usually sleep in your undies).
  • All our chargers with extra long cords
  • Tablet preloaded with mindless tv 
  • Bluetooth speaker

Things I didn't need: 

  • Pump (they have great ones at the hospital)
  • Bottles (they provided these at the hospital)
  • Formula (they provided at the hospital)
  • Books (thought I would read, idk if it was hormones or what but I just needed mindless TV or sleep. Heard this from other reading moms too)
  • Diapers/wipes (hospital provided)

The carseat: make sure you have this installed ahead of time and that you know how to tighten and loosen the straps. PRACTICE BEFOREHAND! Bringing a gigantic baby home in a snowstorm is not the time to learn the straps (speaking from experience). You will not bring the carseat carrier in until the baby is ready to come home.


Printable checklist:





Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!