|Looks just like chili right? Tricked yaaaa haha|
I had to laugh as I'm posting this because I really tricked a few people with this one. Soo Monday in about 20 minutes I threw together this red bean and quinoa mix and we had it for supper (and then for lunch the next few days). Thursday, I added leftover ground turkey from Taco Tuesday and some leftover tomato sauce from the Italian Quinoa Bake and the BF said "Whoa when did you have time to make chili?!" And I was like "Oh I found some time..." [evil laughs]. Anyway here's the recipe the Quinoa & Red Beans, as well as Quinoa & Red Beans Part II: Fake Chili.
Part I: Quinoa & Red Beans
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Servings: 8 (total)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa ($2.00)
- 2.5 cups low sodium natural chicken broth (separated) ($1.50)
- 1 can kidney beans (or any red beans) ($.99)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped ($1.00)
- 1 green pepper, chopped ($.89)
- 1 cup of corn (I used frozen corn $1.50 for a bag)
- 1 TABLEspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 TABLEspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ceyenne pepper
Cook the quinoa with 2 cups chicken broth. In a large frying pan, cook the pepper and onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the beans, cooked quinoa, corn and seasonings and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes. That's it!
Part II: Fake Chili
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: I did this when we were about halfway through the original quinoa and red beans, so about 4 servings.
- 1 cup clean no sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked ground turkey
- Red Beans & Quinoa mixture
Combine all this on the stovetop and heat over medium about 10 minutes or until everything is evenly heated. Tell everyone you cooked them chili and serve it.