Clean Eating Breakfast Foods: The Avocado Egg

Tuesday, February 11, 2014


I've seen this one all over Pinterest and finally gave it a try. Major lesson learned: while Pinterest pictures of eggs in avocados look so much more awesome and appetizing than any egg-in-avocado I will ever make (Pinterest -3 Me-0 but who's counting), they are still just as delicious and also while not as delicious contain the same nutrients. I think part of my problem was that I used a medium sized avocado and an extra large egg, which led to some serious egg overflow. So laugh all you want, but just know this: you don't have to have any kind of artistic food skills to make Pinterest-worthy food. Oh and it's 2 ingredients sooo... Love this one.

Oh also gotta love this one because avocados are SO healthy and cheap! They have more potassium than bananas and lots of healthy protein! So talk about a power breakfast right? PS did anyone know avocados are fruits? Whaa? Also- if you need to ripen your avocados try storing them with a banana in a closed paper bag. They'll be nice and ripe in about a day.

Servings: 1
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Avocado ($.50)
  • 1 medium egg ($.10)
  • Optional: Salsa, sea salt, black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Scoop about half of the avocado guts out of the avocado to make a little boat and set it onto a baking sheet. Carefully crack open the egg into the avocado boat and heat in the oven for 15 minutes.

Top with salsa, salt, pepper, or anything else you want. I think next time I'm going to try putting onions in the avocado boat under the egg. What else should I try?
Avocado boat!

This is me trying to take a decent picture of an egg in an avocado. So this is what my life has become.

Thanks for stopping by! I don't blog here anymore but sign up for my weekly newsletter to keep getting recipes, tips, deals, the good stuff.

4 comments :

  1. Well, A for effort! LOL Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! if I hadn't been trying to make it look pretty it would have taken about 15 minutes total haha.

      Delete
  2. Chopped up turkey bacon? Dash of Cayenne/Paprika? Self serve breakfast bowl!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!