Curious about the benefits of HIIT (aka High Intensity Interval Training)? Here's a quick recap of a previous post on High Intensity Interval Training:
- While HIIT workouts feel like hell, after 2 weeks of consistent (3xweek) HIIT workouts, a study by American College of Sports and Medicine found one's aerobic capacity will see the same improvement as 8 weeks of endurance training. Other studies found the same aerobic results for subjects who completed 60 minutes of HIIT each week vs. subjects who completed 160 minutes of treadmill workouts each week.
- You are supposed to feel like you are dying a slow death by suffocation. This lack of oxygen is essentially putting your body in "oxygen debt" and your body stays burning cals for up to 24 hours (YES 24 HOURS) afterwards trying to "repay" this "debt", i.e. speeding up our metabolism.
- HIIT increases your HGH release, meaning these workouts are slowing the aging process (yeah y'all), and helping your body build lean muscle mass (unlike running and similar cardio workouts)
- HIIT makes your metabolism adapt in a way that uses fat as fuel. Fat. As. Fuel. I'd like to go ahead and sacrifice my saddlebags for fuel...
- Unlike running
- Oh yeah, and it's 100% free. You don't need a gym, equipment, or space to do HIIT .I do it in the tiny space between my bed and wall.
Shape's The Research Approved 20 Minute HIIT Workout
Huffington Post: HIIT is the Hottest Workout Trend for 2014- what it is and how it works
Men's Fitness: Everything You Need to Know About Interval Training
HIIT Refresher from MensFitness (visit their site for more cool infographs!)
Video for the day:
Link Ups for today: