Wednesday Workout: How I Stay Entertained while working out at home

Wednesday, October 29, 2014



People ask me all the time how I don't get bored exercising at home. Short answer: not really. Longer answer: I've been exercising at home for quite awhile and here are things I've figured out to avoid boredom. Keep in mind, I workout in what we call the "Exercise Dungeon" aka my creepy wood panel basement with these 2 workout buds who aren't the best at sharing the mat (this is the clearest picture I have because they never stop moving):



1. Switch up the workouts! I mean the type of workout and the length of the workout. Some days I'll do yoga, the next day HIIT, followed by barre, pilates, running, etc.




2. Find a series to watch while you workout: We have the Apple TV hooked up in the basement. I went through New Girl and am now I'm on Revenge and OMG let me tell you- I can't wait to get down to the Exercise Dungeon to see what Emily is scheming next!!


3. Minimize distractions: This is more of a bit of a different issue, but home has tons of distractions and distractions = excuses. My #1 distraction is the dogs, so while I'm exercising but I put together peanut butter Kongs  to keep them busy for awhile then kick them out of the dungeon.

4. Enlist a workout buddy: I hate working out with other people, but I'm also really competitive so when I can convince Harrison so join it's a whole new ballgame, one that I must win and suddenly have superman focus on. Haha wait is that bad?

5. Listen to music: There are tons of free playlists out there for exercising, and you can make your own on Spotify!

6. Listen to podcasts: Nerd alert- I looooove podcasts. Anyone else out there get into Serial?? It's a spinoff of This American Life and it is NUTS. Here is a list of my FREE favs.



Do you workout at home? How do you keep from getting bored?

21 comments :

  1. Enjoy Revenge!! I am sure it helps the workout go by quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to have music! It just gets you pumped up. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is key for me not to be bored and you're right a good show helps too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the longest time - when I was doing nighttime workouts at home, I would watch Extreme Weightloss - or catch up on a series that I was really into - You'd be surprised how many crunches and situps one can do while distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, kuddos for Revenge! This is my favorite show right now. It keeps getting better and better. I have an exercise dungeon too but honestly, I find it hard to workout at home because my dog thinks it is play time especially when doing abs...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally try and close the door and block everything out. I don't sit down or I never workout. Music and or the TV always helps when i am on the dreadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such great suggestions. I wish I had a workout dungeon! I like using the Nike Women app, but have to admit I've been slacking lately. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  8. so I have a room I workout in, and I shut the door and the cats meow and scratch till i let them in and then they get into everything and annoy me. but i cant work out in the living room where the tv is because normally KC is there, and the floors are hard and i like carpet. normally i can stay motivated during the workout, its making me do the actual workout i struggle with. i am going to check out that barre video you posted about, do you do it very often?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really only have home as an option. There isn't a decent gym close to my house and with the hours that I work and the length of my commute...I have to work out in the mornings before work to fit it in. I had been following along to programs for nearly a year now, doing various Jillian ones, T25 and Body Beast. Right now I am starting to mix it up. I still do 3-4 Body Beast work outs each week, and now I also do a Jillian cardio, and am going to start doing some barre and yoga too!

    My dogs are sleeping when I work out, but the cat likes to boss me around some. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music really helps me too. I just go on walks but I must listen to music. Otherwise all I can concentrate on is my burning legs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot do podcasts while I work out because I need something upbeat to keep me going. My dog likes to try to join in, he thinks it's play time and gets in the way. I usually trick him into going outside. I like the idea of watching a series because who doesn't want to see what happens in the next episode of their favorite show! Great motivation to get that workout in

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummmmm seriously stop by whenever you get a chance! Great minds..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do now workout at home and have even taped some of my episodes and put it out on YouTube. It isn't the same because I feel like I need the camaraderie of others to keep me pushing but I am slowing adapting. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are some great ideas, but I 'm on my way to the gym. I get too distracted at home and NEVER end up exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my dog sees the mat and instantly lies down on it. or he gives me kisses when i lean down. it's not exactly productive, hehe. but cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your taste in podcast! I listen to all of the those except I've never heard of the Read so I'll be checking it out asap. I wish I could stay entertained working out at home. I'm such a home workout slacker. When Jillian is yelling at me to work hard I just hit fast forward. It's horrible

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I workout at home but with the variety offered on workout DVDs I'm never really bored.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not a tv person, but I love listening to music. I'll have to remember to do that to help me get through my weight workouts... #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  20. I work out at home all the time. These are great tips! LOVED the first season of Revenge and I bet you're going to love how it ends :) #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never get board either. I have a treadmill, weights and all sorts of equipment plus video on Comcast. I can't get bored. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions, let's chat!