People ask me all the time how I don't get bored exercising at home. Short answer: not really. Longer answer: I've been exercising at home for quite awhile and here are things I've figured out to avoid boredom. Keep in mind, I workout in what we call the "Exercise Dungeon" aka my creepy wood panel basement with these 2 workout buds who aren't the best at sharing the mat (this is the clearest picture I have because they never stop moving):
1. Switch up the workouts! I mean the type of workout and the length of the workout. Some days I'll do yoga, the next day HIIT, followed by barre, pilates, running, etc.
2. Find a series to watch while you workout: We have the Apple TV hooked up in the basement. I went through New Girl and am now I'm on Revenge and OMG let me tell you- I can't wait to get down to the Exercise Dungeon to see what Emily is scheming next!!
3. Minimize distractions: This is more of a bit of a different issue, but home has tons of distractions and distractions = excuses. My #1 distraction is the dogs, so while I'm exercising but I put together peanut butter Kongs to keep them busy for awhile then kick them out of the dungeon.
4. Enlist a workout buddy: I hate working out with other people, but I'm also really competitive so when I can convince Harrison so join it's a whole new ballgame, one that I must win and suddenly have superman focus on. Haha wait is that bad?
5. Listen to music: There are tons of free playlists out there for exercising, and you can make your own on Spotify!
6. Listen to podcasts: Nerd alert- I looooove podcasts. Anyone else out there get into Serial?? It's a spinoff of This American Life and it is NUTS. Here is a list of my FREE favs.
Do you workout at home? How do you keep from getting bored?